10 Ways to Stop Procrastinating…Now!
How’s it going? Who else is ready for the weekend?!
Perfect! We knew you were ready!
Today we are sharing 10 ways to stop procrastinating because lately we have been getting asked a lot about how we stay on track with our business when things don’t always go our way and how we find that healthy balance in our life. So, if you caught our post on 12 uplifting podcasts and that wasn’t enough for you, then we are sure that this list will get your booty moving and motivated.
10 Ways to Stop Procrastinating…Now!:
1. Daily 5 Minute Mindset: Whether it is 5, 10, or 15 minutes each day, having the right mindset can drastically change your day and mood. If you think you are going to have a crappy workout then you will. If you think you are going to fail then you will. If you think you are going to kick some booty and take some names then you will, so starting each morning with at least a 5 minute meditation or self-love talk can make a world of difference. One of my favorite books, Find Your Happy, has daily mantras. I choose to start each day with one of their mantras and it always helps keep me on the right track.
2. Make a List: So obvious right? Wrong! Well kind of. Not only do I make lists to set up my day or week for success but as I tackle all my to-do’s it helps keep me motivated me as I check each item off the list. It is a way to make sure you are constantly motivated and doing at least something each day.
3. Reward Yourself: You work hard but even if you don’t, take it easy on yourself. Self-love is SO important. If you are lacking drive to get things done then set at least one task and reward yourself when it is done. It could be something as simple as cleaning your apartment and rewarding yourself with a manicure or going for a jog and rewarding yourself with a new book but my personal favorite reward is a 20 minute power nap to recharge.
4. Create Accountability: The bittersweet side to social media is everyone has an opinion and everybody is always in everyone else’s business. I like to use this to my advantage. One thing I have learned is if you put it out there on social media, the internet aka ‘your friends’ hold you a bit more accountable because you don’t want to let others down [including yourself]. I have even seen friends create accountability groups when they have a the same or similar goals so don’t be afraid to use the power of social media.
5. Get Moving: Get up, grab some tea, go for a walk, workout, whatever it is that you do to get a good brainstorm session in. I don’t know about you but my best ideas come in the middle of my cardio sessions. It is extremely inconvenient but it always gets my mind going and I just jot down notes on my phone then when I am done I am ready to rock.
6. Commit to a Project: Inspire yourself! Sometimes doing something creative or starting a project that you have put on the backburner for a while is just the trick to getting you motivated. New projects – big or small – always have a way of setting a little fire inside [at least for me they do] and when your project is complete, [majority of the time unless you are a Pinterest fail which can happen lol], you always feel extremely accomplished.
7. Take a class: Spark your interest or find a new one. Taking classes and constantly learning new material is one of my favorite things to do. There are so many free classes around the internet, on youtube, or even at local libraries. You could always take a paid course as well but whatever you decide to do, don’t be afraid to try something new. It can open up a whole new world you didn’t even know you were excited about.
8. Time Block: I know you have heard me talk about my 20 minute rule so this is no different. Block out your day. Set 20 minutes to do a task that has been bothering you, block out 2 hours to work on your business, etc. Use the timer on your phone or set a watch. Doing this time blocking exercise is so easy and so effective for getting things done but the key is to stay off your phone – and – social media!
9. Get Dressed Up: I truly believe that when you look good you feel good. Getting dressed up – even if it is just jeans and a tee – will make you feel better than yoga pants [even though they are wonderful]. Try a new makeup look or throw on that new top you bought and go do something. One of my favorite things to do when I’m in a funk or rut is throw on some jeans, red lipstick, grab my laptop and go to my local coffee shop to do some work. Just getting out of my house gives me the motivation to get things done. It might be the change of atmosphere but I love it and I am always inspired.
10. Avoid Triggers: My trigger is Netflix. I have a serious love/hate relationship with it. I love nothing more than a good binge watch but that takes away so much time from working on my business. So how do I avoid it? I simply don’t commit to a new show with too many seasons and I only watch it as a reward. What do I mean? Each month I work to schedule my content in advance, this reduces me spreading out my time over multiple days and instead I strap in for a few days and get it done so my reward is binge watching but ONLY when I have completed my editorial calendar for the month.
Want more? How about 10 Must Read books for Entrepreneur’s.
Here is your Pin-able:
What is one thing you do to stay motivated? How do you stop procrastinating?
Comment below or tweet us at @FC_Nextdoor!