The Ultimate Makeup Starter Kit
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them help support this website.
How is your Tuesday going?
My week started with Steve getting a unexpected surgery this morning
but not before waiting and a ton of tests on Monday.
– But –
No worries I’m thrilled to say he is doing great and we would love any prayers for a speedy recovery!
Okay, so onto our post for today.
I have recently been going through my makeup collection to find my truest ride or dies,
and while I was doing so I thought it would be a great idea to go over what kind of makeup every girl needs in their collection.
You know, like an ultimate starter kit.
We picked our absolute favorite-must-have products
to keep you completely covered and looking flawless.
Here is our Ultimate Makeup Starter Kit:
1.Primer – Elf Mineral Primer: I have a ton of primers – you can read all about my favorites here – but I think Primer is the best price and for someone just starting out with makeup. It is a great dupe to the higher priced Smashbox primer too.
2.Foundation – Milani or L’Oreal: You wouldn’t know these two foundations are drugstore. The Milani Conceal + Perfect foundation is a medium to full coverage that leaves the skin feeling hydrated. The L’Oreal True Match Lumi Foundation is a light to medium coverage which also leaves your skin hydrated and glowing. Both foundations are great for someone starting out but I also know a lot of beauty bloggers and professionals who love them as well.
3.Concealer – Maybelline: Maybelline’s Fit Me Concealer is great because it comes in so many different shades. I like that it is light weight and works with almost all skin tones. I personally love using the beauty blender to buff it out. Again, for someone starting out with this concealer you wont have to worry about a cakey, heavy concealer if you choose this one.
4. Brows – Wet N Wild Brow Kit or NYX: If you read about my 7th grade brow trama, then you’ll know this kit is a serious recommendatin. I have all the greatest brow products from ABH to Tarte to Lancome and more and I use this $5 kit every day. It is my ride or die and I don’t know what I would do without it. If you are looking for a great pomade. I recommend NYX.
5. Bronzer – Physicians Formula: If you have been following our blog for a while, then you will know all about our love for this bronzer. I have been using it since 9th grade and love that the formula has never changed. It is the only bronzer that gives me the ‘tan’ I am looking for without all the sparkle and glitter. If you are looking for an even cheaper bronzer, then City Color’s Be Matte Bronzer would be my recommendation. It is very, very similar to the Chocolate Soleil bronzer from Too Faced.
6. Highlighter or Blush – Milani or ELF : If you are a huge fan of Pinterest, then you have probably seen the Milani baked blush in Luminoso floating around for some time now. That’s because it is a great drugstore blush. It don’t overpower and is a very pretty shade that looks great on pretty much everyone. It is a must have for any starter kit. If you don’t normally use blush and prefer a highlighter, then I recommend the ELF baked highligher. It is very similar to some of the high end highlighters but for a third of the cost. If you want more suggestions, check out our post here.
7. Setting Powder – Maybelline Fit Me Powder: I recently talked about this powder. To me, it gives the same feels as the Laura Mercier setting powder. Although nothing really compares, it comes pretty freakin’ close and I love how matte it is. It doesn’t leave you feeling chalky or heavy either which is great. I personally love using this to set under my eyes after I apply my concealer.
8. Shadow Palette – BH Cosmetics: I have purchased numerous shadow palettes from BH over the years and I still can’t get over how great they are for their prices. I still rotate their palettes into my mix because the shadows are very pigmented and blend easily. If you are starting out, grab their 28 color Neutral Eyeshadow Palette.
9. Setting Spray – Urban Decay or MAC Prep + Prime Fix Plus: If you are looking for a cheap setting spray, there are tons out there. However, even some of my favorite drugstore brands just don’t stack up. There is a reason everyone talks about the UD all nighter spray and that is because it works. If you don’t want to splurge on the UD spray then you NEED to get the MAC Prep and Prime spray. I use it before apply my foundation, after and for applying shadows to make them super-pigmented and to have them last longer.
10. Contour Kit – Rimmel Kate Sculpting Kit or NYX: I first saw one of my favorite beauty vloggers use this in a YouTube tutorial and I’m so glad I decided to grab it. They come in a few different shades but all of the shades are very pretty and pigmented. If you are looking for an all-in-one contour kit to add to your starter kit then go with the NYX Highlight and Contour Pro Palette.
11. Makeup Brushes – BH Cosmetics: Obviously I love BH eyeshadows but their brush sets are equally as great. They are also at a great price-point and work really well. I like that they apply shadows and powders easily.
12: Beauty Blender: If you need anything on this list, it’s the beauty blender. I love applying my foundation, concealer, powders and liquid highlighters with it. It applies evenly and if I want to lightly apply any products the beauty blender makes it happen.
13. Lipstick – NYX: I never really wore lipstick until the last few years. When I did start trying lip products – aside from chapstick – I started with the NYX butters lipstick or their lip cremes and Milani lipsticks. The formulas on all of these are very rich and non-drying. They make wearing lipstick feel comfortable and they last long.
Shop Our Favorites:
What makeup products do you consider your ‘ride or die’?
Do you use any of these products listed?
Comment below and tell us.